Comparison between two objects of different kinds. It is marked by words as, like, so.
- Mercy droppeth as gentle rain from heaven.
- He fights like a loin.
- She sings like a Nightingale.
- He swims as fast as fish.
- Poet wondered lonely as a cloud.
Comparison between unlike things, without using word such as, ‘like’ or ‘as’
- Laugh for the time brief a thread length of a span.
- He is a lion in the battle field.
- Tippet is the tiger of Mysore.
- Camel is the ship of desert.
- Youth are the salt of the nation.
- Carolina Naidu is the nightingale of India.
Giving human like traits or characteristics to non living things. (Inanimate
objects are said to be animate objects)
- God moves in a mysterious way.
- I am the land I wait.
- Death lays his icy-hands on the king.
- Death embraced him.
- A chain link necklace chokes me now.
A repetition of the same or similar sounds at the beginning of the words.
- Sound sleep by night, study and ease.
- I had a dove and sweet dove died.
- Giving, giving, and giving to the very end I die.
- She sells the sea shells on the sea shore.
A term for a part of something that refer to the whole of something. (Whole to part, part to whole)
- Tell that the sculptor well those passions read.
- Which yet survive, stamped on those lifeline things.
- The hand that mocked them.
- Sweet little red feet why should you die.
- The village arise when the sun rise in the east.
Use of a word or a phrase conveys a meaning opposite to its usual meaning.
- Water, water everywhere, and all the boards did shrink.Water, water everywhere or any drop to drink.
- Operation is successful but patient is dead.
- Love is a sweet poison.
Over exaggeration of the statement.
- Ring with azure word, he stands.
- He has tongues of the word.
- The bag weighed a ton.
- Sachin is the god of cricket.
what are Figures of speech English Grammar ielts exam what are Figures of speech English Grammar ielts exam what are Figures of speech English Grammar ielts exam what are Figures of speech English Grammar ielts exam what are Figures of speech English Grammar ielts exam what are Figures of speech English Grammar ielts exam